NIRD&PR

Skip Navigation LinksHome > Who we are > Down Memory Lane

Down Memory Lane


Establishment of the Institute(1958)

In the early fifties, Community Development Blocks were set up in the country to promote social and economic development of villages. The Central Institute of Study and Research in Community Development was conceived and set up in 1958 at Mussoorie for offering orientation courses to officers of executive hierarchy in the development programmes. The Trainers' Training Institute (subsequently renamed as the Institute for Instruction in Community Development), established in December, 1958 at Rajpur, Dehradun was entrusted with the task of training of District Panchayat Officers and sub-divisional officers and trainers of state institutions. In April 1962, both the Institutes were merged into one named as National Institute of Community Development (NICD). NICD was shifted to Hyderabad campus during 1964-65. The Institute was changed in to registered society under the Public Services Registration Act No.1 of 1350 Fasli (No.229 of 1965). As per decision taken by General Council in its meeting held on 20.9.1977, the Institute was renamed and registered as National Institute of Rural Development (NIRD). Recognizing the need for more focus on strengthening Panchayati Raj system and capacity building of PRI functionaries through the network of SIRDs and ETCs, the name of NIRD has been changed as National Institute of Rural Development & Panchayati Raj (NIRD&PR) in the year 2014.





Inauguration of workshop of District Collectors/Magistrates on “Responsive Administration” by former Prime Minister Late Shri Rajiv Gandhi at NIRD in February 1988.






Honourable Former President of India Smt. Pratibha Devisingh Patil addressing the gathering on the occasion of NIRD Golden Jubilee Celebrations in December 2008.






Honourable Former President of India Late Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam addressing the gathering on the occasion of inauguration ceremony of National Consultation on Technology Bank in October 2008.


 

Last Update : 17-02-17

Visitors Count :